The IBM System i Navigator installer usually corrupts the DbProviderFactories node in the machine.config file. We have experienced this with both Version 6 and Version 7.
- Unable to use the IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries driver. Exception mentions DbProviderFactories.
- Cannot see all of the Data Provider options when selecting a data source in a .NET application. OLE DB and SQL Server is usually available but custom providers such as IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries is not.
- When connecting to a Team Foundation Server Project in Visual Studio get the following Error:
- TF31001: Cannot connect to Team Foundation Server at xyz. The server returned the following error: Configuration system failed to initialize. Retry.
- Any error related to DbProviderFactories
The installer usually leaves a hanging closing tag in the machine.config file, which corrupts your XML. Since your app.configs/web.configs inherit from this file, your configuration is corrupted also. Re-installing does not work.
Check the following files for corrupted XML.
The bad XML usually, but not always, looks like this. Remove the repeating closing tags and re-start your app.